Happy Men's day -1

May 3: I send out messages to all the women I know well, wishing them Women's Day. the messages contained wishes and a thank you note for their contribution to my life.

May 4, 11:06 a.m. My mother complains that I didn't wish her on women's day.

Nov 19: …..

Nov 20: I stumbled upon a social media post that said yesterday was international men's Day, that's when I knew such days existed. 

Excited to open my message inbox: no activity, except the promotional messages.

I open my WhatsApp messenger: It was no different than the day before.

Nov 20, 11:06 a.m. I call my mother asking about her whereabouts. I didn't even feel the necessity to complain about what she missed on the last day. I call my sister, and she tells me about the sickness she had the last few days and we hang up. I didn't remind her even.

Oh no !!! such days even existed, I didn't know. I won't blame you if even you didn't know it. It's pretty easy to know when it's Women's Day. Social media is flooded with posts highlighting the contribution of women to our society. We see companies organizing events for this day, giving out gifts to their female employees. 

Probably they just started celebrating Men's Day this year, so the news has not spread. 

Turns out that the day has been marked as international men's Day since 1992. Just thirty years, not a long enough time. 

And what's there to celebrate, men are already a privileged gender. It's their responsibility to do whatever they do, it's not like they are doing something extraordinary.

Nov 20: 10:30 p.m. I asked my best buddy Harsh about it, and how many wishes he received on the day. I expected a big number since a lot of girls admire him. A big zero started back at my face to my surprise.

Nov 20: 10:45 p.m. I asked my building security guard if he knew it was a men's day. The world is supposed to celebrate men's contribution to society. He replied, "Let alone celebration if he doesn't work overtime on half of the days in the month, his family back home won't have enough money to buy groceries, pay for school, buy new cloth this festival, and get the new TV that they have been waiting for past three months."

Nov 20, 10:50 p.m. I open Zomato and order myself biryani, my first order ever on Zomato just for myself, and decided that it won't be another year till I order another one.




Comments

Post a Comment

Hey, let me know how you feel about this post here

Popular Posts