Lessons from school - 1

 "If you speak in any other language except English, you will be fined or given a punishment".

The principal announced in the assembly my first new school. He said that it was the only way to develop our communication skills. Or to say it in other words "talking in English is analogous to good communication"

Growing up in a humble family, in a small village of the land of trial's "Jharkhand", our medium of communication was mostly regional languages. Speaking in the correct Hindi language implied that you are from a wealthier family, and you go to a school๐Ÿ˜Ž (Yeah that was a big deal there back in the 2000s).

After completing my primary education in a state board school, I was sent to the only English medium school in the village. (Trust me it's the best investment that most Indian families can afford !!) and on the first day of my school, this was the first line I heard.

I was already terrified by the language since my growing days, here was I surrounded by the people who would only speak in my most dreaded language. Teachers would come into the class and teach the lesson while I would be completely perplexed like sitting in an opera concert. Days rolled by, and with the arrival of exams, my last pile of self-confidence in life departed. Results were announced, and not so surprisingly I was close to topping the list from behind.

Months gave way to years and I somehow managed to drag myself down the ladder of classes.

I just had one good habit back then, reading newspapers. I never had my lunch without the company of a newspaper. And in all probabilities, this habit became my savior. I realized that I had a knack for reading and acquiring information. So I latched hard on to it. Started reading English books that had stories wherever I could find them.

Even had crushed on girls who spoke in good English ever since then๐Ÿ˜‰.

Efforts translated into words, and I could frame them better than most, by the time the school Ended. But to speak them one after the other, with confidence was still far-fetched.

During my school, apart from crushing on a girl who spoke mind-numbing English, she was a debating champion ๐Ÿ˜Š, I worked on my language skills a bit more. My articles were nearly the best in class, won competitions, and I was a go-to person for my English teacher.

Everything fell into place for the first time ever in my life, and I had an open offer to join my, ahem ahem!!! crush into a regional debate competition. 

Best day of my life ever. 

But it turned into the worst day ever since my already bottomed self-confidence of speaking into the language made me not only turn down the chance, but my rival both in terms of writing skills and crushing on my dream girl jumped the chance and partnered with her.

Enough of crush talk๐Ÿ˜‚

Here is when I entered into my engineering days, still with poor English speaking skills and enviable writing skills, two months into my class, and here came the miss freshers of my previous batch with a campaign for the debating event. 

And there came crush #3๐Ÿ˜, I knew this was my chance. Not to impress her with my speaking skills but to get close to her. It wouldn't have harmed me if I got a chance to enhance my speaking skills as a by-product.

Things turned out pretty well between us for 1 year from there, at least I found a way to be close to her for most of the time. And of course, the by-product also made its mark. Things turned messier between us after that ๐Ÿ’”.

But I was a phenomenal public speaker by then, I hosted all of the college cultural events, won several debate competitions, represented the college at multiple competitions, and technical shows, and hosted multiple quiz competitions in the region and I was a force to reckon with. Talking of crushes, I improved, in fact, a lot that people had a crush on me due to my public speaking skills.

"If you speak in any other language except English, you will be fined or given a punishment".

So, this line was finally acceptable to me later in my life.


From hearing that line for the first time. I interacted with thousands of people, hundreds of dogs๐Ÿ• (my favorite), and a handful of cats ๐Ÿˆ in my life. Out of all of them, almost half of them didn't know English, and my four-legged friends spoke a totally align language altogether. But never did I feel the need to just know the particular language to communicate.


I didn't even feel the need for words to communicate with the close ones. My best friend could make out my feeling with just my sound, Hugs from some of them speaks more than a thousand sentences and can convey together, handshakes are more vocal than wordy greetings. Even Silences also gives away so many emotions from the special ones, I mostly talk with my eyes with most of my furry friends.


And I still get crush on people, but not merely because they speak good English. Some are due to the spark in their eyes, some due to their curly hair, some due to their maturity in dealing with life situations, some due to how they treat others, and some due to their transparent colored slippers (๐Ÿ‘€), and most recently due how graciously one dances.


"If you speak in any other language except English, you will be fined or given a punishment".

So, this line is now acceptable to me. (because I don't understand the other languages spoken here)


"it was the only way to develop our communication skills"

Totally crap !!! I have tried and tested it.

Attaching one of my school photographs for my reflection.

Comments

Popular Posts