Reflecting on how last year treated me.

January is an easy month to find topics to write on. The vibes of the new year around you kick in, you are highly motivated to turn things head over heals, you might have taken a vacation at the year's end that gives you memories and experiences to put ink to, and moreover, you also get to write reflection post on the year gone by, like I am doing now.


The year 2022 was a long year for me, unlike 2021 where the entire year looked almost similar except a couple of weeks. For the first half of the year, I stayed home, nevertheless realizing these days are numbered and luxury now. I tried out some new things like attending local marriages, dancing in barats at Bhojpuri songs, and Distributing food to the guests at someone's marriage, where a heavy downpour also doubled down as guests.


I also got a chance to be a dog owner to two incredibly adorable puppies, for a couple of months. Both of them decided to leave the world on the same day, causing me immense pain like I had witnessed never before. I submerged myself in Holi colors two days in a row when I was reluctant to even venture out of my home the previous year. I also tried out almost all the new food outlets in my town during these months and climbed the mountains which are just a mile away from my home. I explored the new roads, panipuri stalls, and picnic spots in my area. I wanted to try out almost everything that my place had to offer in these five months which I had never done before, being born and brought up there.

Probably my mind knew it was the last five months I have here, and sensing the deadline my body jumped to work.


During the second half of the year, I moved cities, and I started living in Hyderabad. Initially, it was an expensive nightmare for me. Everything that I had bought seemed at least ten times costlier than what prices I was used to. Even looking for accommodation came with its own horror. Almost everybody wanted a place to stay and almost nobody seemed to offer them. I spent many sleepless nights worried about this. But things fell into place eventually.


As I started living on my own and doing everything on my own, my admiration jumped a few notches up for my mom. I never realized how tough it is to manage home day in and day out, without any breaks.


I started going to the office again, and trust me it was very boring for the first few weeks unlike what other people's Instagram posts said. I felt completely like I am in an alien land. Slowly things started sinking in, and I learned to get past my awkward feelings. 


I relied heavily on friends till this point. And following the cult, I ventured out to make friends here in Hyderabad.


Who better than somebody who was equally new to the city, equally homesick, and equally miserable. Though the fate of it never turned out to be even close to what I could have ever imagined. But it helped me learn some invaluable lessons about friendships. 


Speaking of friends, I was very adamant about traveling only with my college best friend. We planned multiple trips in 7 years we knew each other, and hardly any plans succeeded. But this year we managed to make a trip, to Rishikesh (my dream destination) and trek to the Kedarkanta ranges. We tagged along with multiple other college people who had already made the plans. It was a totally new and different kind of experience for me in life. 


Some things changed a lot, while some remained almost the same. Some expectations got overfulfilled while some led to disappointment. But this year helped me change my perspective a little towards life.

Last but most important I even started writing the posts on this blog in 2022. It helped overcome a huge 


Here are some learnings that I am carrying on from this year into my life.


1. Things change, people change, and the ones you thought would never change will also change, it's a part of life accept it.


2. You will eventually lose your favorites one by one, either they would go by themselves or you would lose interest in them, so enjoy your favorites to your heart's content till you have them.


3. Don't offer yourself for free to anybody no matter what, put an effort to tag yourself. Nobody wins over your heart till that effort mark is met. 


4. Voice out your needs and wants in places where it matters, if you never ask it, it's always a no. If you really want something ask for it even if there is a 0% probability of getting it. Who knows you might still get it, situations are barely controlled by the rules of probability and statistics.


5. Be confident, and learn to do things alone. Once you enjoy being alone somewhere, there is nothing between you and your dreams.

 

Comments

Popular Posts