Happy Mothers Day - AAA(An Alternate Angle)

With so many motivating and eye-opening posts on social media, during this mothers Day, here is a recollection of a few incidents that might probably change the flavor by a bit.

Instance 1:

Premise: My mother came to stay with me for a few days in Hyderabad.

On one of her morning walks, my mother saw an unmarried couple from a nearby flat leaving the building both smoking a cigarette.

From what she described, the girl and the guy both had a pair of shorts on and the guy was dropping the girl off to a cab they had booked.

Our conversation went something like this:

Mom: Abhi subah dekha ek ladke-ladki ko. Dono ne drink kar rakhi thi aur ladki jhoom ke chal rahi thi. [Saw a couple in the morning. Both were drunk and the girl wasn't even able to walk straight.]

Me: Arre jaane do. Unki life hai. [Leave it, Mom. It's their life.]

Mom: Aise kaise? Inke ghar walon ko pata hoga ki ye kya kar rahe hain dusre city mein? Batao ladkiyan bhi peene lag gayi hain ab to. Kya hoga shaadi ke baad? Ladkiyan piyengi to ghar kaun sambhaalega? [How so? Do their parents know what they are doing here? Even girls have started drinking. Who'll look after the house?]

Me: Arre dono sambhaalenge. Maid rakh lenge dono working hue to. Aur yaha ladke ka peena theek to ladki ka itna bura kyu? [Together they will. They'll hire household help if both are employed. And how is it right for the guy to drink/smoke but totally wrong for the girl?]

Mom: Aisa nahi hota hai. Kal ko inke bachche honge to aise kaise chalega. Maa piyegi to bachche kya seekhenge? [It's not right. Tomorrow when they have kids, how'd it work? Who'll look after the kids if the mom drinks?]

Me: Arre aapko kya tension hai? Unki life hai, jeene do. Aur kya pata unko bachche chahiye honge bhi ki nahi. Sabka alag hota hai. [Why are you worried? It's their life, let them live it. And who knows if they'll even want kids. It's different for everyone.]

Mom: *death stare*


Instance 2:

I had gone to pick Mom up at the railway station. She had 2 heavy bags and 1 handbag. The bags weren't too heavy for me so I picked them up and carried them all the way from the train to the underground pathway all the way up to the exit gate of the Ranchi Railway Station.

She was a bit worried that my hands/shoulders would hurt but was happy when I assured her that it was totally fine with me.

A couple of years back in my hometown, my aunt(mom's sister-in-law) was traveling to her hometown so we all had gone to the bus station to drop her off. My uncle(mom's brother) being chivalrous picked up all the 3 little bags and took them into the bus while my aunt only had her purse.

Seeing this, my mom said to me later: “Saara samaan bechare ne uthaya. Thoda to sochna chahiye. Ekdum naukar bana diya hai.” [He had to lift everything. She could have at least taken 1 bag. She has turned him into a servant.]

Now, I can only imagine the entire scenes if she sees me doing something like this for her future daughter-in-law.

Instance 3:

Every time my mother falls a little sick, I volunteer for the household chores.

Everything like making food, cleaning utensils, and buying groceries/vegetables used to be okay for me to do, but anytime I tried to clean her dishes, she'd always stop me from doing so.

When being asked about the reasons, they'd be one of the following: “Abhi itne bure din nahi aaye hain ki tere se bartan saaf karma.” [Things haven't turned so bad that now you'll have to do my dishes.]

“Tu ladki hota to tere se kara bhi leti. ” [If you were a girl, then I'd have asked you to.]

“Ladko ke karne waale kaam nahi hain ye.” [This is not a man's work.]



Comments

  1. Wow...I just read it and u have actually thrown really really strong truth bombs. It's so true that this does happen in this society. I completely relate to everything u have written in this post though I don't have a brother but yes my grandmother does speak like this. Although I sometimes look at it in a different way..idk if it's right or wrong but it's just my opinion- our parents and grandparents have seen the world very differently and have been bought up a certain way. They are conditioned to a way of thinking, living and speaking. So sometimes we can't even do anything coz they are so hard wired and not flexible that they will just not agree if we show them another perspective. Also they don't understand that wen we are trying to show them another perspective or putting forth our opinion we are not forcing them to change. Just them listening to our opinion without judgements is more than enough. If they accept it that's great. Change tho bahaut dur ki Baath hai.
    But ya it's great what u have been writing. I have read a couple of ur other posts that u wrote from A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gauri, I could very well relate to your personal anecdote

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hey, let me know how you feel about this post here

Popular Posts