Name, person and emotions

my full name is "Bhumik Varu",

It stayed that way till grade 6th, till it became too much for me to bear it. Some of the bullies in school made fun of my title and called me using really nasty nicknames, most of which had been derived from the surname. 

So when I moved to 7th grade all my school notebooks, on the nameplate of the cover either was named just "Bhumik" or "Bhumik Kumar", Kumar being the default surname that people use freely in the northern part of India. 

Yes, there was a time when I was so ashamed of my surname that I did not want it to be used with my name. And, no I didn't dare to talk to my parents who I inherited it from, about it. It was probably one of the lowest times of my life when I cared so much about the mocking of the other kids that I couldn't use, let alone own, my surname. 

Looking back, I don't know if my academic performance deteriorated because of it or if my surname deteriorated due to it. I tried a lot to hide my shame by omitting and manipulating my identity on the nameplates of books and notebook covers. Nobody came in support of me. 
re
It took almost two years for my name to be selected as a school representative for all that mocking to go away. Consequently, my academic scores improved, and slowly my nameplates owned the name "Bhumik Varu". And about 12 years later whenever I write my name it's always "Bhumik Varu", Varu in bold. I have started taking pride in my surname now. 

So from now on, whenever you address me, please address me as Bhumik Varu, and in case you want me to feel a little more special call out just my surname.

[This post is inspired by a flight ticket that I just came across to use in a book that I started reading today called "courage to Be Disliked"].



Comments

Popular Posts